Biryani is one amazing dish, truly.
Simple rice, is turned into a rich, flavourful and aromatic dish.
However, it can take time to make.
Whilst I will be later posting how to make biryani from scratch (update see the recipe here: Paneer Biryani – One pot recipe ) this is a quick ‘cheaters’ way to make biryani when you are simply rushed for time or simply don’t have all the spices available in your cupboards.
The cheat ingredient? Biryani seasoning mix.
All the spices you need are in this one mix!
Serves: 3 people
Prep: 10 minutes Cook time: 25- 30 minutes
- 2 onions
- 1-2 chillis
- 500g Paneer
- 3-4 small aloo
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup mixed veg (I used peas, sweetcorn, carrots and french beans)
- 200g yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups of rice
- 2tsps Ginger/garlic paste
- 3 medium size tomatoes
- 1 packet biryani masala
- Fresh daniya to garnish
- Fry onions and chillis, add ginger garlic paste until onions are brown.
- Now add tomatoes and fry 1- 2 minutes.
- Add the biryani masala to 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Mix and then add to fried onions.
- Now add paneer, aloo (pre boil to speed up recipe) and yoghurt and veggies along with 1- 2 cups of water to make gravy.
- Cook for about 20minutes. Now cook rice until 3/4 cooked.
- Once this is done, make layer of 1/2 of rice in a pot.
- Now add layer of paneer curry to this.
- Once this is done, put the other half of the rice on top.
- Cook for about 5-10 mins with lid on until rice is fully cooked.
- Now mix this mixture.
- Biryani is ready and can be garnished with chopped daniya.
Tips: Serve with raita
Want to make paneer biryani from scratch? Check out my recipe for Homemade Paneer Biryani on my blog!