Us Indians love our tea and the ultimate cup of tea has to be a hot, steaming cup of Masala chai. After a long day I love to make a cup of masala chai and relax. This recipe is one of the first things my mother ever taught me. Although, over the past few years I have slightly adapted it to better suit my taste.
Serves 2-3 people
You will need:
- 2 ½ cup water
- Add enough milk that will suit your taste (I usually use ½ a cup)
- 2 tsp loose tea leaves – chai patti
- 4 tsp sugar – chini
- 5 cardamom pods – elaichi
- 5 cloves – laung
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger – adarak (You can add according to taste)
- 2 tea cups
- 1 tea strainer
- Put the water on boil
- Meanwhile, crush the cardamom pods and cloves. You can use a rolling pin to do so.
- Add the crushed pods and cloves to water
- Grate ginger and add to water. Add sugar too.
- Leave to simmer for 2- 5 minutes
- Add tea leaves and now simmer for 5 minutes
- Add milk till boiled
- Take off and strain
- Enjoy your tea!
Tips: Swap tea leaves for 2-3 tea bags if you don’t have tea leaves
See my recipe for a variation with saunf (fennel seeds): Saunf Walli Chai